Sedalia enjoys an interesting history that is as unique and important as our community.

Before 1859 only the Ute and Arapahoe Indians and an occasional trapper crossed the Plum Creeks in Douglas County, in the area which was to become Sedalia. In 1859, D.C. Oakes started a lumber mill on West Plum Creek, cutting and shipping the finished lumber to Denver by horse and wagon. People began to homestead shortly thereafter. After the Civil War ended in 1865 the village was owned by Judge J. H. Craig and was known as Corral or Round Corral, a cattle holding and shipping area for cattle drives.

In 1865 families came, reflecting a broad spectrum of background and origin. Many of the early settlers came with little or no possessions, but they had courage and fortitude. Farms and ranches were settled and many of those pioneers have descendants still residing in the area. In 1871 the Rio Grande Railroad laid its tracks and the town became known as "Plum" or "Plum Station." The Santa Fe Railroad built their tracks through the town in 1876 complete with a new depot. The name was changed to Sedalia officially in May 1882. Sedalia streets still carry the names of many early pioneer families. Colorado Telephone Company brought communications into Sedalia. The first telephone lines were the barb wire fences between farms used with old crank box phones. There were sometimes twelve on a party line.

By 1900 the town was a flourishing trading center. Commerce included coal, milk and cheese,

cider and apple butter, lumber, railroad ties and stone. Sedalia was the logical overnight stay for people traveling from Denver to Colorado Springs. It also became a favorite outing for bicyclers from Denver. With prohibition in 1919, Sedalia residents were surrounded by stills tucked away in the hills around the town. Moonshining became a way of life at $25.00 a keg or$5.00 a gallon. In 1923 electricity was installed in Sedalia and in 1925 U.S. 85, the "new" road from Denver to Colorado Springs was completed. In 1957 Sedalia Water and Sanitation District took control of the entire water system. The village with 37 windmills had become self sufficient. Probably the one event that had the most impact on the Village of Sedalia was the flood of June 1965. Seven homes and three public buildings were damaged or completely disappeared under a twenty-five foot wall of water.

The first Sedalia School was a frame structure near the present Post Office. It was purchased and moved to the Creek area where it was lost to the flood of 1965. There were twenty students enrolled. In 1891 a new solid stone school opened. It still stands today just south of the present school. It was complete with outdoor toilet and wood stove. In 1912 several rooms were added with running water and stoker furnace. In 1951 it was converted to apartments when the present Sedalia Elementary School opened. The current enrollment is approximately 300 students. While we continue to grow and develop as a school we never forget the uniqueness that is Sedalia.

Settlers riding into Sedalia
Sedalia's First Fire Station First Sedalia School